The Church of Nynehead (ca. 1860) ...

...has a nave, chancel, south aisle, and chapel at the east end ; a north transept abutting on the nave, and a south porch. The tower is the earliest portion of the church, of the Milverton plan, but the stair-turret is stopped at the ringers' floor with a sloping roof - a picturesque arrangement for a small church and preferable to the Milverton arrangement. The tower is of very early Perpendicular work and the tower arch has never been finished. The north transept and chancel are a little later than the tower. The headdresses on the dripstones are of the time of Henry IV. There is an Early English piscina in the chancel, of good character. The north aisle and chapel are of a little later date. There is a considerable portion of the old rood screen, of very fine Devonshire character, remaining. A very curious stone, with three crosses, of very ancient character, incised, is at the entrance into the chancel, and some sculpture of Early English character was found in taking down and rebuilding the west wall of the south aisle, and where this abutted on the old wall of the nave, rough cast was found, thus showing that the south aisle was an addition and that rough cast was used by the old architects in finishing these buildings.

There is a good Jacobean monument, in good preservation, of the last Warre, of Chipley, with her husband, Mr. Clarke, and two very fine examples of Luca della Robbia ware, representing the Virgin and Child; one life size is of great beauty and certainly by the master himself; the other is a beautiful composition illustrating the text, "quem genuit adoravit," with lilies on a blue ground. Also a very fine work, in marble, by the rare master Mino da Fiesole, representing the Holy Trinity, with angels; with a picture of our Saviour, by Granacci. These were placed in the church by the late vicar, the Ecv. John Sanford.

The remains of ancient earthworks near the church which had been examined by Mr. Warre were not considered of sufficient interest to make them worthy of a public visit, but it was suggested that they were probably of the same date with bronze celts, now at Nynehead, which had been dug up in the park. In the loam of the valley Roman coins, flint instruments, and the molars of Elephas primigenius had been found.

[from the Somerset Archeological Soc vol xi, 1861-2, Part 1.]